Thursday, October 4, 2007

Favorite innovation movies

In my MBA class tonight, guest speaker Vincent Paquet (celebrating the one year anniversary of his company’s public launch and 3 month anniversary of joining the Google mother ship) talked about the life of a successful startup entrepreneur.

After Vincent left, the topic of startup funding came up. It reminded me of my favorite startup movie, Startup.com, about about an unsuccessful dot-bomb. The scenes about the CEO trying to get VC funding are the closest thing I’ve ever seen to the real process about getting funding.

I don’t believe in showing movies in class, but these VC scenes in Startup.com are one exception. The other exception is the open source documentary, Revolution OS. I normally show the scenes providing insight into the two key figures of the free/open source software movement, i.e. Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds. If I have time, I show excerpts of the 2nd DVD, specifically the interviews of these key protagonists.

No comments: