Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stuffing the pipeline

Our SJSU summer break began May 25 and ends Aug 22. Given our heavy teaching load, every year most of our research needs to get done during the summer if we hope to accomplish anything at all.

I've now finished 7 weeks of the 13 week summer break. I had a lot on my plate, but I think (unlike during 2007-2008 and 2006-2007) my research pipeline is coming along about where I'd like to be:

Stage
Goal
Completed
Remaining
Conference Talk†
2
2
0
Initial Journal Paper§
5
2
3
Revised Journal Paper
2
1
1
Final Journal Paper
2
2
0
Total
11
7
4

† which may eventually become a journal paper
§ one is a book chapter.

This includes presenting at a couple of conferences, doing one (1) field interview, a family vacation, and some stuff as the father of a tween who’s under foot.

Blogging is getting less time than during the school year. This may suggest why it was I got little research done during the school year, and thus what I need to do going forward.

No comments: